Tuesday, August 7, 2007

work, work, work


Neptune City, NJ -- I've basically told you everything that's been happening to me - including my social security woes - well, everything except work. So this entry is devoted to my work. I started work July 1, as the Pedi resident on the floor and on night float (a.k.a servant-of-all-who-deserves-no-sleep). The first day was very traumatic for me. I remember running out of the hospital and hiding in my friend's car because I was too ashamed to be seen crying. I was seriously contemplating packing my bags and heading home (not to my apartment, but HOME home -- Manila). I have an open return ticket and I know I can go home anytime. I didn't want to call my parents because I know they will get worried. I texted Joy but warned her not to call me because I might just burst into tears. Work was hard, but that's nothing to me, as long as I love what I'm doing and I know it's all worth it. It's difficult for me because even though I love kids, Surgery is still my first love. So I kept thinking what I would be feeling that moment if I was doing Surgery rather than Peds. And it was more difficult because my senior (who has no plans of becoming a doctor, but is nonetheless finishing his 3rd year of residency) kept muttering how our work sucked. Then add the nurse factor. The nurses gave me a rough time. They questioned most of my orders (even something as simple as Tylenol), made me do manual labor that even nurses don't do (carry a seizing baby to CT scan in my right arm while pushing the IV stand with my left hand and with the chart inserted in my left armpit), and they were just unfriendly. Well most of them, except of course the Filipino nurses. They really helped me out. I remember one nasty comment by one of the non-Filipino nurses thrown my way as I was talking to one of the Filipino nurses in Tagalog. She said while looking at me from head to foot, "So are you two from the same tribe?". I seriously wanted to punch her. Anyway I restrained myself and sweetly told her that no, we are not part of any tribe, and yes, we do wear clothes and no longer live in caves or hunt down animals in the Philippines. Aaaaaaargh!

Anyway, work is getting better everyday (I hope). I've become closer to my senior. I am very grateful for his honest opinion about our work, and I consider him as one of my confidants regarding my first love (Surg). The nurses are a bit friendlier, and somehow I think I've proven to them that a) I actually know something, and b) I come from a civilized society. I am learning to love work as the days go by. I see more interesting cases, and meet more lovable patients (see picture above -- one of my cutie patients).

Oh by the way, I have some bad news. Dr. McDreamy is (gasp) married. Oh well. I don't think I'll have the guts to take his pic anyway. Just use your imagination and picture a hot tall guy in tight green scrubs. (arrrrrrr)

3 comments:

justine said...

Hang in there, Deets. I have a few horror stories of my own but the work does get better. It's especially hard when you have subordinates who will resent your authority because you're new and you're much younger. But I'm sure after a couple of months, everything will be smooth sailing. Just remember to keep your cool and never ever let them know that you're struggling. Smile honey!

sparklemind said...

and divorce can happen anytime :P

sparklemind said...

the photo reminds me of fiona and shrek's baby ..ackk