Thursday, August 9, 2007

Lost in the City of Lights II



sacre bleu, it's cathy in paris!

Paris, FRANCE --Despite spending two weeks there, I didn't visit Eurodisney (you've seen one, you've seen them all), Pere Lachaise Cemetery (maybe next time), catacombs (no French I know has been there), minor museums which showcase contemporary art (the best are showcased in temporary exhibits in large museums anyway), and Corsica and the French Riviera (why did I choose Rome over this?! *sigh*). I also didn't go up the top of Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe and Eiffel since you can view the whole of Paris with ease on your knees and wallet from the Basilica de Sacre Coeur.

We also gave up our Eurail pass for the convenience of planes and a longer time to know Paris-- I’ve never regretted it.

As for my Roman holiday, the awe at the l'ouvres is less on the second visit. Hence, I have very few things to say about my trip:

1) Don't ever go to Italy in summer unless you're heading for the beach. The heat is unbearable, like walking at noon in Manila;

2) You'll be walking a lot so bring your most reliable shoes. An ordinary map will not help you navigate the narrow streets in Italy (perhaps a GPS device?;

3) July is also the sale season in Rome but the clothes are incomparable to Paris. There's an outlet store near the Pantheon that sells everything at 70% off.

4) Get reserved tickets for the Colosseum and other attractions;

5) Italian guys are shameless flirts. The French think they overdo romance, hence their cry of outrage: How can you fall in love with an Italian guy?!;

6) Every thing's a bit cheaper here except for the leather shoes, and

7) Don't forget to try their gelato and the Tre Scalini dessert in Piaza Navona. It’s meant to be shared over the serenade of street performers. ;)

When I first got to Europe, Italy was my favorite country. But when I got back, I instantly missed France. I don't think it has anything to do with the comforts of having family take care of me. The city itself-- the sights, sounds, and feel of it-- well...um…sorry, I'm no poet.

My last night in Europe was in Amsterdam. I had a better tour guide and an interesting night. But that's another story. ;)





3 comments:

Joy said...

Thanks for the sharing your European experiences, Cathy. I'll definitely use your tips when i get there...someday (sigh..) Oh, i don't think we will mind if Italian guys are shameless flirts, we have Justine=) haha!

sparklemind said...

hahaha..

on the otherhand, I'm not ashamed to be a mindless flirt

risa said...

thanks again, catalina! ;)
great photos and tips.
now back to that cramped office to daydream about your next trip...