Sunday, July 15, 2007

on being nationalistic














Botanical Gardens, SINGAPORE--Some bloke paid me probably the biggest compliment to date--he called me 'nationalistic.' I've never been described as nationalistic before and I was damn proud to be seen that way. Call it ironic but my patriotism has been awakened by living away from home. I realise how lucky I am to have grown up in such a beautiful country with the most fun-loving and genuinely warm people I know. Living in a sanitized bubble like Singapore makes you long for the dirt, the grime, the chaos that is Manila. Living in a country which supposedly is a melting pot of 3 cultures which amounts to none really makes you take pride in certain things about you that are unmistakably and unashamedly Pinoy. So yup, I was born and raised in the Philippines. In a third-world country, thank you very much.

p.s. the pictures here have nothing to do with the content of this post. they're just pretty.

4 comments:

risa said...

the philippines - the dirty happy country! there's just no place like it. i'm missing our singapoh breakfasts though :)

Indeterminacy said...

There's no place like home. I love my home town (Cincinnati), despite it being so ultra-conservative and in recent years one of the biggest financial backers of Bush.

Living overseas has also driven me towards the lasting classics of American culture, Mark Twain, Edgar Allen Poe, etc, moreso than would have been the case had I never left.

Anonymous said...

bump! holla at jan n risa, i was quite surprised when ur friend came down to look for me, i believe my facial expression was a bit like... O.O? haha. anyhows round about now at this hour would mark 1 week the night/morning u guys visited. hope ta hear from u guys soon!

risa said...

hey shin! how are you & the fine people over at highlander? hi to anil & jansen! here's to another round of graveyard in the future haha