Tuesday, July 24, 2007

the fountain of wealth




District 12, SINGAPORE-- So the biggest fountain in the world is at Suntec city where I work. Lonely Planet hit the mark when it described it as "the world's largest fountain is not necessarily the world's most tasteful one." As if its magnificent size wasn't enough, if you actually went around the inner core of the fountain thrice, you could make a wish and (surprise) it would come true. Seriously. But that's not my point. Every night at 8pm, the fountain is host to this laser light show. The first time I heard it, I was taken aback by the blaring rock music coming from outside my office windows. Was that an outdoor concert, thumped thumped my heart. As it turns out, it was the start of the light show. From then on, I would hear ten minutes of Hootie, Coldplay, Bon Jovi, Sugar Ray and I would know that the show was going on. Anyway, I saw the show for the first time today (yes, I've been working here for 5 months now) and it is utterly disgusting. Think water show at the Bellagio (minus Clooney and the gang gazing out to the fountain) but the water only spurts in one direction (like a broken fire hose) and there are gawdy lights in blue, green and red amidst songs like How to save a life by the Fray. And the best part of it all, you can pay to have an 18m personalised message displayed on the water curtain. "Will you marry me? (but please excuse my lack of taste)" I don't think so.

p.s. there is again no connection between the pictures here and my post. moreover, i don't actually think this post has a point.

1 comment:

risa said...

aren't we all such big fans of the fray ;)

at least you have a laser light show. all we have is the blaring of ambulance horns and the noise from the PE class next door!

again,nice lomo shot. will try to catch womad with ya