Saturday, July 19, 2008

olodum!


Salvador, BRASIL -- Olodum: world-renowned Afro-Brazilian cultural group from Salvador da Bahia, known for developing “samba-reggae” and for its active participation in carnaval each year. I was curious to see Olodum's drum corps (they've performed with Michael Jackson and Paul Simon and have worked with Spike Lee) so Marcos and I hit the streets of Pelourinho one rainy Sunday night to catch their first ensaio for the winter season.

For 20 reais, we witnessed powerful, heart-thumping, non-stop drum beating that accompanied the vocals of some of Salvador's most popular artists. The place was packed with both tourists and locals alike, all dancing to the intense and infectious rhythm. Wild! I'd never experienced so much energy in one show.

I think I'll pick up an Olodum CD at the mall so i can pack some of that rhythm and energy into my suitcase before I head home to Manila.

3 comments:

risa said...

and here i am having to content myself with olodum mp3s. inggit!
a week in salvador is not enough ;p

Anonymous said...

First time I have ever seen one PILIPINA on oludum concert! It was such a nice picture! ha ha ha
love you baby!

deets said...

inggit ako ;P everyday i still wish i'm in sul am, and not here in neptune (outer space). no olodums here. i have to be content with jon bon jovi for now. :(