Thursday, May 15, 2008

me, prepare for brazil?


Manila, PH -- joy, i am an obedient girl so i'm posting my list.

1. got immunization shots (hepa a, typhoid, flu). bawal magkasakit! tomorrow i'm getting yellow fever shots with manay jan. apparently you can only get these in manila at the bureau of quarantine. right, hasten? (we were teasing her that because of her tiny tidy island's requirements, she'll be the only one getting the shots & falling in line with livestock & such. look who has to go now.)

2. been somewhat faithful to my brazilian diet. brazilian diet: because i need money for brazil i can't go shopping or have lunch out! hopefully next year i'll be on a turkish diet. wink, wink.

3. looking for a good 55-liter up backpack. my sister the mountaineer is using hers daw. sigh. i don't want to blow $300 on something i can't wear/take pictures with.

4. brushing up on my portuguese/spanish. i'm not doing great, though. today i learned how to ask for food in a restaurant: "�tiene comida vegetariana?" jan, if i can't remember how to conjugate i'll leave all the talking to you...unless i decide to bring my 'wicked spanish' phrasebook (and we all know how useful that will be).

5. couchsurfing! i've hosted several people here but crashing a relative stranger's house will be quite a plunge for me and the girls. the people who are hosting us are mostly from the north zone of rio de janeiro. i've got their contact details on my notebook & i'm excited to be a part of their homes for a few days. will post on how this goes.

lomo above of mutch & me: in the justine tradition of posting photos that bear no relevance to the text. by eazy of lomomanila.

5 comments:

Joy said...

Turkey next year? I heard there's this place (market?) where shopping is a must. Ask me, I'll be on Pinoy diet next year. haha! Rico, Lucas & I will be in Manila next year.

Joy said...

Oh and Risa, are your cherva dresses/clothes ready? =)

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

I´m the webmaster of a Vegan site in Brazil, you will find a lot of things in it that may help you on your trip here. There´s a list of vegetarian restaurants and so on.

The address is www.guiavegano.com.br

Look for the label "Cidades" (cities) on the top.

Have fun!

Alex

risa said...

joy - still have to pack chervawear!i need advice!

alex - oi thanks for the tip! muito legal! will check out the vegan places in rio & bahia.

Joy said...

I see a lot of tunic dress here (make it short;-). It's very light. Maybe you can get one there if you have time. Pick a design that is good for day & night time.. yung pwedeng pang-cherva! LOL=)